ShareThis

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Favorite books of 2014

I have seen LOTS AND LOTS of best books of the year posts.
I decided to be inspired to blog for the second time this year. 
Stupid low number of posts, I know.
BUT! BOOKS!!! I love to talk books! 
Let's go. I'll try to give my impression, rather than a synopsis of each book. 

Yes Please. I've said it before (not here, obvs) but I'll say it again. Amy Poehler is my spirit animal. I love love loved her book. Now don't read this, Mom. She's not tame, and she also uses wordy dirds. 

A Man Called Ove This debuet from Sweden just captured my heart. I got an advance review copy from Netgalley. (DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN GET FREE REVIEW EBOOKS?) A grouchy old man watches his neighborhood change and he changes with it. It was just plain good. I cried.

Code Name Verity This book is considered YA. It's a book with heart. A very well written, book with heart. I love books that highlight great friendships and this one does. Again, I cried. 

The Invention of Wings Ok. I cried again. Maybe this is a thing with me and books I love. This is not an easy book to read. The scenes of mistreatment are hard to listen to and so much angry making, but it is such a good book. 

The Graveyard Book Not my first Gaiman. I listened to Oceans At The End of The Lane last year and was entranced. This one was perfect for right around halloween when it's getting colder and leaves are falling. My daughter listened with me and loved it just as much as I did. Maybe more. (Which makes a momma happy!)

The Bookman's Tale Books about books!! I think those are my favorite books of all books! How many times can I say books? This one goes back in time and solves the mystery about the identity of The Bard. The Author, Charlie Lovett has a new book, First Impressions, which takes on our favorite authoress, Jane. 

The Storied Life of A.J. Fickry Another book about books! This bookseller adopts a baby left in his store and becomes human again. He also reccommends many books that I have put on my wish list. 

All The Light We Cannot See Another Netgalley freebie. Yay for free, especially when it's so good! This story just transported me back in time and made me fall in love with the father willing to do so much to help his blind daughter and make her life happier, even in hard times. Really, so good. I know everyone has this on their list, it's that good.

You Are Now Less Dumb I like to sprinkle some nonfiction throughout my reading year. This one was really good. Sort of an explaination of why our brains do what they do and how to prevent the weird things we all do now that we know our brain is fooling us. Fascinating stuff.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened The Bloggess. She hooked me when she adopted a giant metal chicken and named it Beyonce. I loved the chapter on how she and her coworkers handled the various undesirables when she was working in HR. 

Fuzzy Nation I also sprinkle my reading year with scifi. I haven't earned the coveted badge of nerd, but I like to think that I'm nerd-curious. Unless this is a title that you can self-proclaim. If so, I'M SUCH A NERD! This is just your average other-planet-alien-species, obnoxious-hero-who-ends-up-in-a-courtroom story. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Off To Be The Wizard I really reccommend listening to the audiobook. The reader is just fabulous. I put this one on the list because, while I did enjoy it, my whole family loved it. This made a road trip so much more bearable. Boy, if you thought the last book was nerdy, this one ratchets the nerd up a level or two. It's funny, too, which always earns you points in my book. (BOOK! HA!)

A few honourable mentions: I did love these but I had to limit my list to 12 because reasons. (It's late and I'm tired.) In The Woods, The Hundred Year Old Man Who...had an entirely too long book title, What Alice Forgot, and The Rosie Project were all favorites too. 

I'm thinking of writing up a list of books where the cover outshone the book itself. A good cover really draws me in. Am I the only one who loves to look at the covers of books I've read? It's like a time machine. 


What were your favorite books this year? Did you blog the list? I want to know what I need to put on my TBR list for the coming year. Talk books with me!



No comments: