ShareThis

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Enough

123

You may or may not know that I am in charge of Children’s Church at our, well… church. Tomorrow is going to be a super crazy Sunday for this pastor’s wife.

We’re having an Egg hunt instead of Sunday School in hopes to draw folks from the surrounding neighborhood in. After the hunt, we’ll have coffee and doughnuts and mingling.

Then there’s praise & worship, which I’ll lead (even though I’ve been trying to hand this off to someone for a while now.) And then there will be Children’s Church. I’ll try to herd our regular kids and any guests back to the fellowship hall without the running and screaming that seems to naturally combust whenever a child exits the sanctuary. Once there, I have a simple craft planned to go along with this simple lesson.

1. God loves me.

2. Everybody sins

3. Jesus died to save us.

I have a few kids that don’t have a great home life. I have no idea what kind of situations our visitors tomorrow will come from. I may only get one chance to light a spark in their very impressionable lives. I want this to stick.

I think about these kids in the future. I can foresee some very rough roads for some of them, just judging on their surroundings and the norm that comes with them. I want this to stick.

No matter what road they are on, no matter what hole they find themselves in, be it a pigsty or a crack-house or a house in the suburbs, if they reach a point where hope seems lost, I want this to stick.

1. No matter where you are, no matter what you’ve done, God loves you and you can’t do anything to change that, even if you wanted to.

2. Nobody can be good enough on their own. As bad as you think you are, everyone else is in the same boat. Sin touches us all, no exceptions.

3. Jesus was beaten and died so that he could make up for our sin. He knew death was the punishment required and willingly took it just so we could be reunited with God.

I know there’s so much more I could teach these kids. There are other themes that I could hit. Resurrection being one. I’ll definitely cover it, but I’m hitting the 123 hard tomorrow. There’s so much about the Gospel that I can’t do it all in one day. Boil it all down and this is what you get.

And it’s enough.