ShareThis

Friday, July 30, 2010

We Belong

Well, hi there!  It’s been a while, I know.  Let’s jump right in, shall we?

This is one of my favorite songs.  I especially love the end when the children sing along.  (I love the glimpses of green that pop throughout the video.)  It sort of fit this post, so I thought I’d share.  Feel free to listen as you read. 

A few nights ago, I show up to work to be informed that I’m going to orient to a different unit so that I can be pulled to work there in the future, should the need arise.  Now, this wasn’t a problem for me.  I’m just glad they didn’t call me off when they had too many people scheduled to work. 

But.  I get over to the unit and there it is.  That awkward standing around, not knowing where to put your things, where the bathroom is, what anyone’s name is, not knowing the routine and where to find the things you need to do the job. 

So I stand.  For a while.  Now, don’t get me wrong.  I wasn’t expecting anyone to drop everything to cater to me; the PCT that was orienting me was taking report from day shift.  So I just stood and observed. 

This is what I gleaned from that 5 minute wall-prop (I was very good at keeping that wall up, let me tell you.)

We want to belong.

I didn’t feel like I belonged there.  Yes, I was there to learn so that I can kinda belong there in the future.  But at that moment, I didn’t. 

It got me thinking.

Everyone wants to belong. 

We all want a tribe.  We all want community.  Not just a community, but our community.  We want a place where we fit.  I’ll go further.  We need this.

During the year from West Point, I felt out of place, adrift.  I didn’t belong.  I created an online community of like-minded people where I did belong.  Let me tell you, it made a difference.  A HUGE one!

But here’s the thing.  We do.

We belong.

We all belong to God.

He is the one who gives us life, sustains us. 

He WANTS us. 

ALL of us. 

There is not one person that God isn’t longing for relationship with. 

So.  What do we do with this?  Do we create places where the only requirement for you to belong is that you breathe?

That is what I want.  I want a place where ANY person will feel that they belong to God.  Imagine the beauty of that place.  I will find it.  I’ll create it if I have to.  But I’ll have it. 

That is where I truly belong.