ShareThis

Friday, September 4, 2009

Skool @ the Hiz-ouse

 

Homeschool

It’s official. 

We are going to Home School our kids this year.

To some of you this may not be news or even newsworthy.  But to us this is a HUGE deal.  Well, for me.  I’m so afraid I’m gonna screw up their education or ability to learn or maybe even un-teach them things.  Ok.  I exaggerated a little. 

Our reasons for schooling at home this year are mostly selfish.  We are not coming from some noble place where we feel pulling them out of school is the absolute best thing for them.  Although if you look at it like breastfeeding and daycare, I would agree with you.  But growing up in the home of educators (not 1, folks but both parents!!!  I got away with nothing at school) I do believe in the school system. 

However. There are several reasons for this decision.

#1.  You may know that my husband is a Pastor now.  That means he works weekends.  Every weekend.  Both sets of grandparents live at least 5 hours away.  To visit family, we would have to pull them out of school. 

#2.  We could possibly be moving.  Again.  Just in the same area, but switching houses.  There are 3 different school districts within 5 miles of our current home.  I can almost guarantee that if we move, it will not be within this district.  That would have meant our kids getting into a new school, then switching schools.  Again.  I just don’t have the heart to do that to them. 

#3.  I’m throwing away the alarm clock.  Haha!  Not literally.  But it will be super nice not to have to get up at 6:30am anymore unless we are heading out to some amazing field trip. 

#4.  Field trips.  I can’t wait for that part of this journey.

So.  There you have it.  My completely selfish reasons for learnin’ them babies  my own self. 

I’m quite qualified, don’t you think? 

1 comment:

everydayMOM said...

Can't wait to hear how it goes! I highly recommend setting a start time and an ending time... this coming from a one-week veteran! We had some tough times yesterday and I finally had to say, "School is over. You will have to do that for homework when DADDY comes home!" =]

You're going to do great!