ShareThis

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cluck, Cluck

I love me some chicken tenders. Breaded, deep-fried, crispy, yet juicy, little tidbits of THE white meat. Oh yes, I do. And I have the yummiest recipe for these little golden chunks of poultry. Wanna know it? Okay, good, cause I wanna share it with you!

This recipe has been in my file for over 10 years, and I use it sparingly. Sparingly, you ask? Why if its so great do I not use it more often? I will answer by pointing you to Sentence #2, just read the adjectives (i.e. not healthy and we can't stop eating them).

Other than the above-mentioned deliciousness of this chicken, the other part I love so very much is that my very picky kiddos snarf it down like wild dogs (and yes, I know it's basically chicken nuggets and not healthy and that's why they eat it....blah blah blah..I'm not listening!!!)


So without further ado, because really there's been enough of that already, don't you think? Here's my fabulous recipe, originally found in Taste of Home or Quick Cooking many moons ago:

Chicken Fingers

chicken tenders (or cut up some chicken breasts, whatever's on sale)

1 egg, beaten

1 c. buttermilk (never have this, I put a tbsp of lemon juice & then add enough milk to make a cup)

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 c. AP flour

1 c. bread crumbs

2 tsp italian seasoning

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

Oil for frying

Place chicken in bowl or resealable bag, combine egg, buttermilk, garlic powder, pour over chicken. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. In another bag or bowl, combine flour, bread crumbs, seasoning, salt, and baking powder. Heat oil to 375. Drain chicken, place a few pieces at a time in the coating mixture. Fry chix in batches for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. We served it up last night with baked potatoes, salad, corn, and my favorite crescent rolls. (I wish I could say I pulled them out of the freezer but my supply was lost during the Great Power Fail of 2010. Sigh. So I had to make more :)

I am linking this post to Tasty Tuesday and DIY Day and Recipe Swap Friday. And can I just say if you don't follow these carnivals, you really ought to re-examine your blog reading schedule.

.323C7628-33F6-41D4-A0EB-C9DF65A10FE3.jpg612FB0F4-6290-4DEE-BC00-F988BE415580.jpg


2F131BB5-0B57-482E-9A6D-03577B29793A.jpg

1 comment:

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Sounds yummy--my kids love chicken fingers. I never have buttermilk either and do what you do.