ShareThis

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Freezing Homemade Rolls Works For Me!

Some families may feel a 'good meal' is not complete with a special dessert but my carb-loving carnivores think we must have a bread basket at our table. And since there are very few things in life that I adore more than hot, fresh, homemade bread slathered with butter I try to oblige them whenever possible. Okay, I really prefer margarine but it just doesn't have the same ring to it: bread and butter or bread and margarine. Sounds like that commercial 'would you like oil or cream'...oil please, a double helping. I know it's horrible but its true, but now back to my family's yeast fetish.

But what doesn't work for me is to spend 2-3 hours making fresh bread multiple nights a week. So what does work for me is anytime I make a batch of fresh rolls, I bake half and then freeze the rest!

Easy-peasy lemon squeezy! Just follow your favorite roll recipe, let them rise the first time, shape the rolls and then plop half of those little lovelies down onto a cookie sheet and pop it in the freezer just until they start to freeze. Then scoop 'em up and put them in a freezer bag and freeze until needed!

On the day you want to use them, you can just place them on a tray and let rise, then bake as normal. Or you could put them in the fridge in the morning and they'd be ready to bake when you get home! (You should definitely take them out and put them in a greased pan or you could possibly have a giant puffy dough explosion in your fridge. And yes, that was experience talking.)

Now here is where I should have quite a few lovely pics of my rolls post-flash freeze but blogger was possessed by a devil and wouldn't let me. So instead here is a picture of my 'invention' which SHOULD BE at the end of the post.....sigh...


But here is a successful shot of the soft, silky, little objects of my affection. Crescent Rolls, you will forever have my whole heart (and my thighs and waist line and arm flab).

This recipe is unbelievably good. I found it over at The Finer Things in Life, it's originally part of her homemade pigs-in-a-blanket recipe and it is some kind of yeasty yummy fabulosity. Seriously, try it. You will NOT regret it.

Oh and here's one more thing that 'works for me' - newly discovered today. I've been trying to find a place to keep my recipes up at eye level and away from all the splattering messy madness...so today I took a little binder clip and a little bread tie and clipped my recipes onto my upper cabinet handle...voila! It definitely worked for me!!! (again please see pic above....grrrr!!!!)

Head on over to We Are That Family--a blog I always make time for--to see what's working for everybody else.

One last thing...blogger took about a kajillion hours to upload these very few pics today and then when it finally added them..it deleted three-fourths of my post. And by some winter miracle I was patient and did not yell at the computer or threaten it with a screwdriver. I just walked away and came back later -- or as my hubby would say 'back up and punt' - and there's an additional works for me tip. AND I know this week was a themed WFMW so please don't comment and let me know I broke EVERYONE SINGLE Blogging Rule during this post..I already know I overuse ellipses and parenthesis and exclamation points and put unnecessary quotation marks...I "TOTALLY" heart doing it!!!!!

2 comments:

jennybek said...

Love your invention. As well as you complete disregard for blog "suggestions." Hee-hee!
Let me know when you're available for the blog birthday.

jennybek said...

And I forgot to mention:
I TOTALLY heart your parenthetical, ellips-y exclamations!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome.