ShareThis

Monday, September 5, 2011

BFF Weekend (Told In Recipes)

I'm embarrassed to even look back to see how long it's been since my last post.  A long time, I'm sure.  But after a beautiful, long weekend filled with BFFness, I had to at least attempt to get back in the swing of things.  Jen's family came to visit for the weekend, and she and I were able to do a big bunch of nothing all day Saturday.  I'm guessing we put in a full 12 hours of nothingness. It was liberally sprinkled with baking, eating, {tv}watching, pinning (Pinterest, of course!), talking, and finally campfire sitting.  It was lovely.  Just lovely.  Labor Day weekend is also my church's annual Homecoming service. Not sure if Homecoming is a southern tradition or not, but basically it's regular church kicked up a notch and followed by a seriously scrumptious meal.  We ended the day with a baptismal service (where my baby girl was baptized...sniff).  And then today we iced the cake by having a cookout with my awesome and hilarious extended family.  But in between all that fun, I put in a lot of KP duty so I thought I'd recap by sharing all the recipes I used this weekend.

It started with the yummiest pizza recipe!  I was feeding my family, Jen and her kids, plus five of my nieces and nephews, so pizza was the natural (read: cheap and easy) choice for our late lunch!  I use this recipe from Annie's Eats. (I always double the recipe, making four pizzas for my family but for this crowd I quadrupled it!) I've tried a few others, but this is just absolutely fabulous.  It freezes perfectly and is just so very tasty.  It was in our family's weekly rotation, but I consistently overeat when I make it so I've had to slow it down.  And yes, I did eat way too much of it this weekend.  We stuck to the basics for the crowd, cheese/pepperoni/three meat.  Plus my favorite breadsticks, use ranch dressing as the base and then slather on mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
PC040494

As a late afternoon snack, we devoured The Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls.  They are so delicious, they deserve to be capitalized as the proper noun they are!  I made four pans...mmmm.  I limited the children to one roll each so I could have a few leftover for breakfast on Sunday and two pans to take to church for dessert.  Yep, you read that correctly.  They are so good you can take them to a church potluck and pass them off as dessert.  I also made a pan of some of my standby rolls and added some ham for my main dish contribution.

For Monday's cookout, I was inspired by BooMama's Diptacular '11 to whip up something in the appetizer family.  I found this recipe for Beer Bread (I used root beer and it was a little sweeter than I would have liked, but we still ate every crumb).  I cubed up the bread and made my tried and true bacon cheese dip and a new pizza dip.  It's definitely a keeper (I made a few adjustments, D doesn't care for parmesan so I used mozzarella and a little bit of cheddar, also left off the toppings--still tasty!)
And because every good weekend ends with something sweet, I made these Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies.  Yep.  They are very tasty.  I think these would be an amazing cookie to use for ice cream sandwiches.  Some good vanilla in between these, maybe rolled in toasted coconut...oh yes, that sounds divine.   I wonder if I could do that and then dip them in white chocolate, like a Klondike bar...Okay I'll stop now.

And that's my weekend in recipes!  We enjoyed a delightful, entertaining, and memorable weekend!  Did Jen and I take a picture together this weekend?  Yes, but not with our own cameras so I've got nothing...well, lookie here!  I found something to use!  A picture of my sweet girl after her baptism.  So very proud of her!
P9040827
2F131BB5-0B57-482E-9A6D-03577B29793A.jpg