ShareThis

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The one in which I brag on my teenage self

075

I like posting vintage pics every now and then. So, here you go.

I want you to look at that dress. This was taken in 1992. It was my junior prom. The dude, background, hair and corsage are all inconsequential. What I want you to study is The Dress.

Seriously, don’t look at the hair. I actually paid someone for that mess. I do want to point out that it is as if I got the memo about the photographer's background & planned accordingly.

Back to The Dress.

I still love this dress. I think it’s just lovely. It hangs in a closet at my mom’s house and my daughter pulls it out almost every time we are there to see if it fits her yet. Another side note. Look at that waist. It disappeared with the first baby and has been on the endangered watch list ever since. It’s been rumored to exist with certain lifestyle changes, but nobody’s seen it in at least 14 years.

Again. The Dress.

I saw a very similar dress that I really liked but it was $700. That’s a lot of coin to drop on a dress now, but then it was “I know better than to even ask Mom about it. Better not even mention it.”

So I did what any 16 year old would do.

I decided to make my own prom dress.

My mom and I drove about 45 minutes away to a gi-normous fabric store to pick out the pattern and fabric. That trip was so much fun. I still day dream about that store. I think that’s where my love for fabric took root. I had a serious liking before that, but that store cemented the relationship.

I turned my mother’s dining room into a tailor’s shop. Pattern pieces, fabric, notions, remnants and piles of dressmaker tools sat in that room for … well, I don’t know how long. The dress was actually slightly too big. If I took a deep breath, it fit. So I added the sequin spaghetti straps to make sure I had no wardrobe malfunctions. The trim on the hem(s), drop waist and bodice had to be sewn on by hand. That was the worst part of the whole process.

So there you have it folks. I have been a crafty, problem solving bird for quite some time. I’ve not been feeling too crafty here lately, so I’m reveling in my past exploits.

I adore this dress. If I could cram my post baby body into it, I totally would. Every single day. I’d wear it to the walmarts just to see if I become famous on the interweb.

As soon as I drop more than a few pounds, look for me in all of my taffeta, shiny turquoisey glory.

No comments: